If your organization uses VMware, you may be contacted by the VMware Global Compliance Services team giving your organization the option to be part of its #I’m Compliant campaign stating: “This campaign offers the opportunity to review your company’s state in regards of VMware software licenses usage and prove adequate compliance related to their terms and conditions. After the process is completed, your organization could obtain a Compliance Certificate related to the licenses reported usage.”
The #I’m Compliant invitation does not state that it is a license audit but, in effect, it is.
If you accept the invitation and participate you will be asked to complete a license Deployment Report and instructions on how to extract the required data from your VMware installations.
You will also be required to complete a Certificate of VMware Software License Deployment declaring that your completed license Deployment Report is an accurate report of the VMware software licenses you have deployed.
Note: The VMware EULA states that “During the License Term for Software and for two (2) years after its expiration or termination, You will maintain accurate records of Your use of the Software sufficient to show compliance with the terms of this EULA. During this period, VMware will have the right to audit your use of the Software to confirm compliance with the terms of this EULA.”
The SAM Club has come across many real world scenarios that have caused licensing issues and EULA breaches, including:-
- Licences purchased in one country and installed outside the permitted country/region
- Mixed support levels on VMware installations on a host machine often as a result of splitting, merging or reallocating licenses
- The use of mixed OEM and channel licenses
- Multiple installations using the same license key
- Installations using the wrong license key
- Wrong licenses upgraded by VMware in response to Upgrade Orders
- Licenses missing from VMware’s own Installed Base Report (IBR) even though they are on the customer’s MyVMware portal
Please contact The SAM Club at email@example.com if we might help you with any type of VMware audit, your VMware Licensing & Support and managing your MyVMware portal.
For our client’s that have an on-going Service Agreement with The SAM Club we include the above in our standard service.
Interesting article from Microsoft, explains the difference between an ‘Audit’ and the Software Asset Management (SAM) program that The SAM Club can enrol our clients into.
Also see our Services page and the article on ‘Are you Microsoft Audit ready?
Contact us if you would like to discuss how we can help you.
Microsoft License Compliance
2016 proved to be a great year for The SAM Club.
During this time, we grew our client base:
- 3 New clients signed up for our managed SAM service
- Project completed to review a 3000 user Microsoft Enterprise Agreement Renewal
- Project completed to provide a full Microsoft analysis in preparation for discussions on a new Microsoft Enterprise Agreement
- Project completed for a Not for Profit corporation in USA for new Head of IT to understand licenses owned and options available
For our existing managed service clients:
- 5 Clients entered into the Microsoft SAM Program. This is a voluntary process to obtain
a Microsoft’s certificate of compliance
- 3 Clients contacted by Microsoft for a compliance (audit) check that we assisted through to completion
- 2 Clients negotiated and signed new Microsoft Enterprise Agreements
- 1 Client negotiated and signed with Snow Software to use their platform to manage their Software Assets
The SAM Club’s services and offerings continue to expand:
- Became a Microsoft Software Asset Management (SAM) Partner – this enables our clients to obtain a compliance certification
- Became a Snow Software Partner – we are not resellers but have passed the Snow certification to use the software
- DH2i – We look for alternative options. We found DH2i who offer an interesting solution which helps reduce and manage the number of SQL Servers within a firm’s infrastructure. We have partnered with DH2i and have been working with them to promote their offering within the UK and find UK Resellers for their solution
- Partnering with Discount Licensing to recover costs on redundant Microsoft software
Announcement about The SAM Club becoming a Microsoft Silver Partner for Software Asset Management and what this means
Microsoft announce subscriptions for online services for short term requirements i.e. additional staff for projects, seasonal etc
Roaming Rights Retirement for Windows Enterprise and Windows VDA and the introduction of Windows SA per User Add-on USL as a replacement
Microsoft extended support dates for Windows 7 & 8.1 for Intel Skylake processor architecture devices
Special Offers for Citrix Workspace Suite
Veritas Portal: The issues The SAM Club have seen and what we have been doing to validate our clients Veritas portal since the split with Symantec
April 2016 Newsletter digital