Microsoft announce that Visual Studio 2017 is available for download
Note there has been a name change where “with MSDN” is replaced by “Subscription” – so Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 with MSDN becomes Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription, for example.
The link provides more information about the latest release:
Source: Visual Studio 2017 Release Notes
There’s a new Azure Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Calculator from Microsoft available to help estimate potential cost savings if you migrate on-premises application workloads to Azure.
Simply specify the details of your existing infrastructure with various cost assumptions and you’re provided with a report that summaries on-premises v Azure costs.
Source: Azure TCO Calculator | Microsoft
Interesting article if you are considering deploying Windows 10 with Citrix if you prefer Microsoft Azure cloud solutions.
Source: Citrix and Microsoft Simplify Windows 10 on Azure – Citrix
Interesting article from Microsoft, explains the difference between an ‘Audit’ and the Software Asset Management (SAM) program that The SAM Club can enrol our clients into.
Also see our Services page and the article on ‘Are you Microsoft Audit ready?
Contact us if you would like to discuss how we can help you.
Microsoft License Compliance
Microsoft announce that from 1 February 2017 new customers will not be able to buy Azure consumption services through the MPSA, but confirm that existing customers are unaffected. If you are unable to add Azure to your Enterprise Agreement (EA) or Server and Cloud Enrolment (SCE) then consider Azure via a Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) as an option on the pay-as-you-go model. At present there is no date for the Azure Plans or Monetary Commitment options to be available via the CSP. Read the blog post here:
Source: Connected, modern licensing made for digital transformation – Microsoft Volume Licensing Blog
2016 proved to be a great year for The SAM Club.
During this time, we grew our client base:
- 3 New clients signed up for our managed SAM service
- Project completed to review a 3000 user Microsoft Enterprise Agreement Renewal
- Project completed to provide a full Microsoft analysis in preparation for discussions on a new Microsoft Enterprise Agreement
- Project completed for a Not for Profit corporation in USA for new Head of IT to understand licenses owned and options available
For our existing managed service clients:
- 5 Clients entered into the Microsoft SAM Program. This is a voluntary process to obtain
a Microsoft’s certificate of compliance
- 3 Clients contacted by Microsoft for a compliance (audit) check that we assisted through to completion
- 2 Clients negotiated and signed new Microsoft Enterprise Agreements
- 1 Client negotiated and signed with Snow Software to use their platform to manage their Software Assets
The SAM Club’s services and offerings continue to expand:
- Became a Microsoft Software Asset Management (SAM) Partner – this enables our clients to obtain a compliance certification
- Became a Snow Software Partner – we are not resellers but have passed the Snow certification to use the software
- DH2i – We look for alternative options. We found DH2i who offer an interesting solution which helps reduce and manage the number of SQL Servers within a firm’s infrastructure. We have partnered with DH2i and have been working with them to promote their offering within the UK and find UK Resellers for their solution
- Partnering with Discount Licensing to recover costs on redundant Microsoft software
The System Center 2016 Client Management Suite has been removed from the January 2017 Product Terms document. Each of its four components are now licensed separately with CMLs per User or per OSE. The four components are Data Protection Manager, Operations Manager, Orchestrator, and Service Manager. If you have active SA on a Client Management Suite licence as at 1 January 2017 then you are eligible for all four licences. See page 6 of the Product Terms for an overview.
Nano Server is a new deployment choice for Windows Server 2016 which requires Software Assurance on the Windows Server licences, and page 45 of the December 2016 Product Terms document confirms that you need SA on the CALs too.
Citrix have announced they will be changing their support offerings with effect from 1st January 2017. See the attached document for more information on the new “Customer Success Services Select” program.
Traditional Subscription Advantage entitles customers to software updates only. The new Customer Success Services program provides a more comprehensive offering with an obvious increase in the maintenance fee.
However, existing customers can still renew their Subscription Advantage before July 1st, 2017 with any multi-year renewals honoured through to their expiration date.
The SAM Club proactively monitors our client’s renewals and keeps our clients up to date on their options.
Citrix Customer Success Services Select
Effective January 1st 2017, Microsoft has announced UK price increases for enterprise software and cloud services to realign closer to euro levels. The increases are:
- On-premises enterprise software will increase by 13%
- Enterprise cloud will increase by 22%